Since starting with John Deere in January 2018, my involvement in projects has spanned across many departments and many locations across Australia, New Zealand and even the United States.
To help you get a feel for some of the experiences you may enjoy as part of the John Deere Graduate Program, here are a few of the projects and events I contributed to during my first year:
- Working with John Deere Financial for the golf and commercial mowing sector, traveling to dealerships to engage in discussions about their current situations and looking at their future opportunities
- Consulting with product line marketing for information on upcoming products that will be available for sale in the new model year. I even got to fly to the US to see factories and meet international colleagues!
- Attending Innovation Generation in Wagga Wagga to meet local grain producers and discuss current innovations and issues faced within the grain industry
- Assisting with organising John Deere's stand at the 2018 Cotton Conference on the Gold Coast, talking with growers, international representatives as well as other Cotton industry professionals
- Facilitated the Compact Utility Tractor (CUTs) training throughout Australia and New Zealand in which I gained a large amount of product knowledge and liaised with dealers to understand their sales strengths as well as their opportunities for product knowledge development
- Participated in combine & hay training and optimisation throughout Australia and New Zealand, which was a great insight into the world of technology in agriculture
- Worked in the Supply Chain team learning about processes and initiating a new delivery procedure. This provided exposure to the factory, carriers, dealers and the order fulfilment team, which broadened my knowledge of this sector of the business.
- And lastly, I had the opportunity to participate in the Small Tractor Campaign photoshoot at a local property in South-East Queensland. As modelling 'talent' I was needed to manoeuvre 1 – 5 Family Tractors around the property and operate them in realistic Lifestyle property applications to highlight their versatility. The images captured during this photoshoot were then used in various advertising mediums like websites, brochures, social media and even on billboards.
At the conclusion of the program, I was successful in obtaining the full-time position of Internal Product Support Representative. This role ties in with my engineering studies and I get to deal with our factories to find marketing solutions as well as work with dealers to find suitable product configurations and compatibility for their customers.
2018 was a busy but amazing year that has really broadened my understanding of the many facets of the John Deere enterprise and has set up my future as part of a great global company. I'm looking forward to what new challenges and opportunities 2019 and beyond brings!
Cameron Reid – Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (2016)
(2018 Graduate participant)